|Best Practice || > About > Best Practice
Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing
Posted in October 27, 2022
Sixteen check list of compliance of the journal to the Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing published September 15, 2022 (joint statement by Committee on Publication Ethics [COPE], Directory of Open Access Journals [DOAJ], the Open Access Scholarly Publishing Association [OASPA], and the World Association of Medical Editors [WAME]; https://doaj.org/apply/transparency) was as follows:
1. Name of journal
The official journal title is Science Editing. Abbreviated title is Sci Ed.
The URL of the official journal website is https://www.escienceediting.org/. The Science Editing managing team endeavors to make a good website. Science Editing website demonstrates that care has been taken to ensure high ethical and professional standards. It does not contain any misleading information, including any attempt to mimic another journal/publisher’s site.
3. Journal Schedule
Science Editing is published two times a year (on the 20th day of February and August).
It is accessible without barrier from Korea Citation Index (https://kci.go.kr) or National Library of Korea (http://nl.go.kr) in the event a journal is no longer published.
All published papers become the permanent property of the Korean Council of Science Editors. Copyrights of all published materials are owned by the Korean Council of Science Editors. Every author should sign the copyright transfer agreement forms (https://www.escienceediting.org/authors/copyright_transfer_agreement.php).
This is an open access journal distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
7. Publication Ethics and Related Editorial Policies
Science Editing follows the Guideline on Good Publication of COPE (https://publicationethics.org) and Recommendations of International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (https://www.icmje.org/recommendations).
Our publication ethics and related editorial policies are displayed on the Research and Publication Ethics tab (https://www.escienceediting.org/authors/ethics.php) and Instruction for Authors (Editorial Policy) tab (https://www.escienceediting.org/authors/authors.php) of the journal website.
The Editorial Board of Science Editing carefully examines whether all submitted manuscripts abide the ethical guidelines of ICMJE and COPE. The published articles should include the statements of conflict of interest, author's contribution, Institutional Review Board, informed consent, and human/animal rights.
When the journal faces suspected cases of research and publication misconduct such as a redundant (duplicate) publication, plagiarism, fabricated data, changes in authorship, undisclosed conflicts of interest, an ethical problem discovered with the submitted manuscript, a reviewer who has appropriated an author’s idea or data, complaints against editors, and other issues, the resolving process will follow the flowchart provided by COPE (https://publicationethics.org/resources/flowcharts). The Editorial Board of Science Editing will discuss the suspected cases and reach a decision. Science Editing will not hesitate to publish errata, corrigenda, clarifications, retractions, and apologies when needed.
8. Peer Review
- Science Editing has an online submission and peer review system at https://submit.escienceediting.org/.
- Science Editing reviews all manuscripts received. A manuscript is first reviewed for its format and adherence to the aims and scope of the journal. If the manuscript meets these two criteria, it is dispatched to three investigators in the field with relevant knowledge.
- Science Editing adopts double blind review, which means that the reviewers and authors cannot identify each others’ information. The authors’ names and affiliations are removed during peer review.
- Assuming the manuscript is sent to reviewers, Science Editing waits to receive opinions from at least two reviewers. In addition, if deemed necessary, a review of statistics may be requested. The acceptance criteria for all papers are based on the quality and originality of the research and its scientific significance. Acceptance of the manuscript is decided based on the critiques and recommended decision of the reviewers.
- An initial decision will normally be made within 4 weeks of receipt of a manuscript, and the reviewers’ comments are sent to the corresponding author by e-mail. The corresponding author must indicate the alterations that have been made in response to the reviewers’ comments item by item. Failure to resubmit the revised manuscript within 4 weeks of the editorial decision is regarded as a withdrawal. A final decision on acceptance/rejection for publication is forwarded to the corresponding author from the editor.
- All manuscripts from editors, employees, or members of the editorial board are processed same to other unsolicited manuscripts. During the review process, submitters will not engage in the decision process. Editors will not handle their own manuscripts although they are commissioned ones.
- We neither guarantee the acceptance without review nor very short peer review times for unsolicited manuscripts. Commissioned manuscripts also reviewed before publication.
Science Editing is an open access journal. A free full-text service, both in XML and PDF formats, is available immediately upon publication without an embargo period.
10. Ownership and Management
This journal is owned by the publisher, the Korean Council of Science Editors (https://www.kcse.org/). The journal is managed by the Management Team.
11. Advisory Body
The advisory body is the journal's editorial board. The full names and affiliations of the journal’s editors are displayed on the About (Editorial Board) tab of the journal website.
12. Editorial Team and Contact Information
Editorial team is available from Editorial Board page at the front part of the journal.
Administrative Manager: Hyelim Kwon
22 Teheran-ro 7-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 06130, Korea
13. Author Fees
Neither page charge, article processing fee nor submission fee will be applied. Science Editing is a platinum open access journal, meaning there are no fees on the author side.
14. Other Revenue
Revenue sources of journal were from the support of publisher (the Korean Council of Science Editors), Korea Government’s support, and advertising rates.
Science Editing accepts advertisements. The policy of advertising is displayed on the About (Advertising Policy) tab of the journal website.
16. Direct marketing
Journal propagation has been done through the journal web site and distribution of an introduction pamphlet. Invitations to submit a manuscript are usually focused on the presenters at conferences, seminars, or workshops if the topic is related to the journal's aims and scope.